Module 2: Priming
This module introduces you to the concept of “Priming” moves. Eliciting prior knowledge, supporting social-emotional learning, creating safe spaces and culturally responsive classroom environments–each of these learning strategies can be enacted during a lesson to build and check for understanding.
Priming moves prepare and support a learning community to engage in formative assessment practices together. Priming is the foundation of all good classroom-based formative assessment. In this module, we consider various modalities, types, and purposes of priming moves to support the process of checking for understanding.
In this module, you’ll explore:
- A 20-25 minute video explaining Priming
- Video clips of “Priming” in authentic classroom settings
- Checks for understanding and a Glossary to help you clarify content
- A PDF of References
By the end of this module, you will be able to:
- Define priming
- Describe why priming matters
- Apply good priming techniques in face-to-face, blended, and online instructional environments