Module 4: Pausing
This module introduces you to the concept of “Pausing” moves. Wait time, think time, processing time–all of these types of support cognitive learning strategies can be used during a lesson to build and check for understanding.
Pausing is the art of giving students–and ourselves as teachers–adequate time to think and respond, as individuals or in groups, to questions in the classroom learning environment. In this module, we consider various modalities, types, and purposes of pausing moves to aid in the process of checking for understanding.
In this module, you’ll explore:
- A 20-25 minute video explaining Pausing
- Video clip(s) of “Pausing” in authentic classroom settings
- Checks for understanding and a Glossary to help you clarify content
- A PDF of References
By the end of this module, you will be able to:
- Define pausing
- Describe why pausing matters
- Apply good pausing techniques in face-to-face, blended, and online instructional environments