Module 5: Probing
This module introduces you to the concept of “Probing” moves. Seeking explanations, justifications, and elaborations by questioning responses–all of these types of deeper learning strategies can be used during a lesson to build and check for understanding.
Probing is the art of asking follow-up questions that use information from actual student responses, inviting all students to elaborate, to go deeper, to push beyond their “first draft” answers. In this module, we consider various modalities, types, and purposes of probing moves to aid in the process of checking for understanding.
In this module, you’ll explore:
- A 20-25 minute video explaining Probing
- Video clip(s) of “Probing” in authentic classroom settings
- Checks for understanding and a Glossary to help you clarify content
- A PDF of References
By the end of this module, you will be able to:
- Define probing
- Describe why probing matters
- Apply good probing techniques in face-to-face, blended, and online instructional environments